Monday 22 March 2010

Sea Glass by Maria V. Snyder

Sea GlassSynopsis from back cover: Student glass magician Opal Cowan's newfound skills to steal a magician's strength make her too powerful.

Kept under house arrest, Opal dares defy her imprisonment to search for Ulrick, the man she thinks she loves. Thinks because she is sure another man - now her prisoner - has switched souls with Ulrick.

In hostile territory, without proof or allies, Opal isn't sure whom to trust. And now everyone is after Opal's special powers for their own deadly gain...
My thoughts: I enjoyed this book, although I did think it took a long time for anything exciting to happen. Opal seemed to spend a lot of time travelling or sitting around thinking and waiting to do something.

It was good to see Opal standing up for herself more than in the previous book (Storm Glass), but it’s obvious that she’s still quite unsure of herself and who she should trust.

I love that we get to see more of Janco in this book. He’s definitely one of my favourite characters. Unlike Kade, I really didn’t like him as much in this book, he just seemed so bland.

I found the Ulrick/Devlen thing a bit confusing, especially towards the end when they were both being referred to by name and I didn’t know which one was which. But, that’s what happens when people switch bodies.

The whole sea glass sub-plot thing was really weird. It was looking like it was going to be a major event and then it just fizzled out into nothing and I was like “what the hell was that all about?!” I assume it was the start of something that’s going to feature more in the next book, but it was so strange.

The ending of the book has some major twists, and I’m really looking forward to the next instalment. Can’t wait to see what happens to Opal next.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! You can't imagine how much I look forward to reading this series. You see, The Study Series is my favourite and it's there that I first got to know Opal. Have you read it as well? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I've read the Study series, it's my favourite too.

    ReplyDelete