Monday 31 January 2011

Monday Memories 2

"Monday Memories" is my weekly blog feature. Every Monday I'll be taking a look back at one of my favourite books or series from when I was younger. I hope you enjoy this feature, and feel free to join in with your own Monday Memories post too if you want to!

This week I'm going to discuss Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian. I first read this book when I was 10 or 11 and I've read it several times since then. I still have my original copy that my parents bought new for me back then. I was really pleased when I first got this book because it was one of the first 'grown up' books I read. 

Goodnight Mister TomThe story itself is very emotional and there are parts where it makes you smile and parts where you can't help but cry. Willie is evacuated to the countryside from London during the war and he is sent to live with Mr Tom. It soon transpires that Willie has been abused by his mother before he was evacuated, and understandably he's very nervous of Mr Tom who comes across as a grumpy old man. Gradually Willie comes out of shell and starts to lead a happy life in the countryside with Mr Tom as his guardian, but then Willie's mother asks for him to be sent back to London. After that the story takes a dark turn and when Will doesn't keep his promise to write, Tom heads off to London to find Will knowing something is very wrong. 

When I first read this book they'd just brought out a TV adaptation of it, which really brings the story to life. If you've never read this book I strongly recommend it, and I recommend watching the TV adaptation too, but make sure you have the tissues ready because it will make you cry! 

No comments:

Post a Comment